Sunday 19 July 2009

Sunday in the garden

The weather has been lovely today despite the forecast. It's been a little bittle cloudy and a little bit windy but mostly sunny and warm. So, as it's Sunday I've been in the garden ALL DAY. I did some gardening this morning, had lunch in the garden, and then worked on a new crochet design whilst sitting at the bottom of the garden admiring the plants and the watching the bees doing their stuff.

I spent about three hours this morning tidying up after the heavy rain we've had recently - pruning out all the drooping, damaged stems of the lovely pink lupin and gorgeous irridescent blue delphiniums. Overall the plants have survived very well, though some of the bedding plants in pots and baskets are looking slightly dishevelled. The wind today will dry them out a bit.

There ARE some gorgeous looking plants in the garden at the minute. One I'm particularly happy with is Helenium 'Sahin's Early Flowerer'. There are so many shades and textures in this one plant that I can't stop looking at it.

And the bees seem to love it too.




Another plant which is proving popular with the bees is Hebe 'Wiri Dawn'.


And this oriental poppy is so delicate I'm really surprised that it's survived all the bad weather we've had in the last few days. There is so much detail in the flower and the colour is beautiful. I love it!

The beauty of nature always amazes me, and it's a constant source of inspiration and pleasure. Wandering around the garden, looking at the gorgeous flowers and the wildlife going about it's everyday business really lifts my spirits. I couldn't be without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.