Sunday 4 October 2009

Preparations for Grainger Market craft fair

My first craft fair of this year is next Saturday (10th Oct) at the Grainger Market in Newcastle. The Grade I listed building was Newcastle's first indoor market. Designed by John Dobson and built by Richard Grainger, it was considered 'the most spacious and magnificient market in Europe' when it was opened in 1835.

The Grainger Market is still a very lively place, with around 250 shops and stalls, in two distinct areas:

The old 'Flesh Market' is largely still in its original state, set out in a grid system the stalls here sell everything from meat, fish and vegetables to pet accessories, haberdashery and books. The classically styled market also houses the oldest surviving branch of Marks & Spencer - the Penny Bazaar which opened in 1895 is thought to be the smallest M&S in the world!

The roof of the old 'Vegetable Market', now known as the Grainger Arcade, was destroyed in a fire and the present steel girdered and glazed roof dates from 1901 (see photo below). Here you'll find local nurseries selling their plants, an oriental food store, and cafes, as well as the Arts & Craft Fair which is held on the second Saturday of each month. I'm really looking forward to this fair; it's in a lovely setting and I'm hoping that the shoppers will be in a buying mood!



More info here and here and lots of photos here.

So this morning I sorted out everything I need for the fair: business cards, leaflets, shelving, stand, table cloth, cash float, tissue paper, sellotape, bags, paper, pen, and stock! There's still a few things that I need to do, but essentially I'm ready and raring to go. One thing that I do need to finish though is the bunting. I think that the bright and cheery bunting will look really attractive draped across the front of my stall, and hopefully it will attract some prospective customers to come over and have a closer look. Here's what I've done so far:


A half-knitted flag showing the SSK decreases on the right (stitch slants to left), and K2tog on the left (stitch slants to right). The pattern for the bunting can be found at Green Mountain Mama.


A finished flag (curling up at the edges!).


Ten colourful flags, all ready to be flattened!


Flag slightly stretched and pinned out.


Ironing the interfacing to the back of the flag.


A nice, flat flag - no curly edges!


Attaching the flags with a little bit of crochet.

I've nearly finished the bunting now - only two more flags to attach. I'll post a photo of the finished bunting in my next blog. Watch this space...

2 comments:

  1. I love the bunting! Your stall will look fantastic, and no doubt you'll be posting photos after next week's event! Best of luck!
    Kirsten x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon! What a nice blog you have! I love the garden pictures especially! Welcome to Blotanical, I found your blog there.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.